jakarta-general mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject [draft] SD Magazine: request for change
Date Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:18:21 GMT

Due to the timeliness of this, I plan to send it Sunday night. Given that
we're on a weekend, I doubt it will be read until Monday.

Any opinions?

-------------
To: kadams@cmp.com
Cc: board@apache.org
Subject: Tomcat 5.0 error in JOLT announcement

Hi Kate,

I'm writing to let you know about a serious error on your JOLT product
excellence awards press release, and I assume in your forthcoming June
2005 issue:

http://www.sdmagazine.com/pressroom/jolt_winners_2005.pdf

You've incorrectly attributed Apache's Tomcat 5.0 product to "The Apache
Jakarta Project and leading Tomcat contributor JBoss".

There are two, very big, problems with this.

The first is that Apache does not have a concept of leading contributors,
it is completely out of sync with the very philosophies that lie at the
heart of the Apache Software Foundation (ASF).

The second is that JBoss are not a contributor to Tomcat. Two Tomcat
committers are employed by JBoss Inc, but they commit to projects at the
ASF as individuals and not as members of a company. This is true of all
committers to the ASF, whether the company be Sun, IBM or Fred Bloggs Inc.

We would like to request that this be changed to:

Tomcat 5.0 (The Apache Software Foundation)

in both the press release (pdf url above) and the forthcoming June 2005
issue.

Thanks,

Henri Yandell
V.P., Apache Jakarta