jakarta-general mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject Re: Promotion of sub projects
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:37:11 GMT

David Sean Taylor wrote,

> Just for fun I thought I'd fill this out for the Jetspeed and Pluto
> projects (WSRP4J is another possibility).
> We would like to start a TLP named 'portal.apache.org' including
> Jetspeed-1, Jetspeed-2 and Pluto, and other portal apps as they are
> developed.

Good, well I suggest that your answers (ruthlessly snipped) tell you that
its worth pursuing.

I'd suggest a good first step would be to start a discussion on the
relevant dev list(s) to see if there is broadly support or opposition to
the idea.

It might be a good idea to provide and overview of what the hell promotion
means and enumerate the benefits and drawbacks it brings.

I'd be happy to prime you from my own experience, or subscribe and join in,
as I'm sure will others who've been through (or oppose) this.

If you garner a general consensus the next step would be to draw up a
proposal for the commiters to vote upon, including the makeup of the
initial PMC, project scope and inaugural PMC chair, and possibly (kind of
bootstrappingly) the conditions which have to be met for the vote to be
sucessful.

If your vote suceeds you then make a formally worded proposal to the board,
James included a short covering letter outlining our reasoning. The board
then vote and either reject it with recommendations (such as to modify the
scope) or accept it and you're faced with the infrastructure tasks.

d.

viruses.