jakarta-general mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: lightweight servlet engine
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:43:45 GMT
Guillermo Payet wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need a lightweight and fast servlet engine, with no need for JSP or
> any other such goodies.  I've been using JServ for this until now, but
> I think it's time to retire venerable JServ and move to something a
> little more modern.  Full blown Tomcat is too much.
>
> I found this document that described exactly what I'm looking for:
>
>   http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2002/view/e_spkr/422
>
> Anyone know where to get this "pruned down" Tomcat distribution?
> (the above doc refers to it as "Jerry")

Tomcat5 will have an "embeded" version which is much smaller ( about 2-3
megs if you have all components ) and you can select what you want enabled.

For 4.1 - I think Hans Bergstein has a customized version that is also much
smaller.  Also Jerry - Pier's trimmed down tomcat4

Tomcat3.3 is also pretty small and modular ( and can be reduced to ~1M ).
It worked fine on a zaurus ( but with kaffe JVM, I had few problems with
j2me - that was long ago ).

Costin