jakarta-general mailing list archives

From Jim Moore <jim.mo...@veritas.com>
Subject RE: Re: No more newsletter?
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 15:01:45 GMT
Actually, if you read
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JakartaNewsletterDrafts it says
that it will still be published to the announcements mailing list.  The Wiki
just makes for a much more convenient means of gathering the information for
the newletter.

-----Original Message-----
From: otisg [mailto:otisg@ureach.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 10:42 AM
To: Rob Oxspring
Subject: Re: Re: No more newsletter?

I have to say I don't really like the idea of Wiki as an alternative,
because I think it's not a replacement of the same quality. What I like
about the newsletter is that it comes (in theory :)) exactly once a month,
at a predictable time, and that it is sent to me, instead of requiring me to
remember to go read the Wiki once a month. Yes, I could set a reminder for
myself to go read the Wiki, just like I have one set now to send Lucene news
to Rob right now, but...

I will not resist the change, if majority is really for the Wiki version.

Otis

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Rob Oxspring (roxspring@apache.org)

<robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk>

wrote:

> > > I know that I'm an evil bad person for even thinking about
this let alone
> > > suggesting it.  However, this is like the kind of thing
that I see the
> > > wiki as being good for.  Think of this.  Rob puts a new
page on the wiki,
> > >  "JakartaNewsletterDrafts/2003/April" for instance.  Then
he says
> > > "Alright Kiddies!  Go edit your own damn newsletter". Peeps paste
> > > their stuff into the page.  Someone (Rob)
grabs that, formats
> > > it and checks it in.
>
> I've got a feeling you suggested it before sometime too... oh
well - this time I've listened!

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JakartaNewsletterDrafts

> More specifically the current issue can be added to here:

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JakartaNewsletterDrafts/Issue8M
arch2003

> The format is fairly freeform, anyone and everyone is welcome
to contribute.

> > > The amount of Rob's time consumed would shrink.
>
> +1
>

> > +1
> >
> > i like this idea since it lowers the barrier to entry -
users and
> > developers will be able to easily contribute. rob would need
to act as an
> > editor and that would still some time.
>
> Sounds good to me - keeping the barrier low should help keep
the content flowing.

> > i think a lot of the effort is persuading people to
contribute and
> > reminding them that this is something they need to do right
now. i wonder
> > if there's a way that we could make that more efficient
too.

> In truth the wiki could remove the "right now" part of the
problem - the wiki will allow people to
> add stuff as soon as it happens
> rather than looking back at the end of the month.  Whether
people will take advantage of this is