jakarta-general mailing list archives

From Martin van den Bemt <mll...@mvdb.net>
Subject Re: Jakarta POI audit.
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 09:35:45 GMT

> In summary, there are no controversial licensing issues for the Jakarta
> POI project itself.  The only area of question is whether Centipede's
> use of LGPL libraries and POI's use of Centipede as a build tool
> constitutes a problem.  We are eager to resolve this in the event the
> board sees this as a problem.  It is our preference to continue using
> checkstyle unless there is an actual legal issue.

(Not looking at centepede here) : POI can even use GPL for building.
There is an exception when a buildtool adjusted the content of the thing
it processes (don't get me on legal stuff here though :). It is written
down in the gpl fag on fsf.org.
httpd else would have to be gpl too, since it may use gpl'ed buildtools
to get it build, which is clearly not the case.

Mvgr,
Martin