jakarta-general mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject (PHP interperated via Java) [Fwd: RE: [JBoss-dev] PHP]
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:06:08 GMT
I thought this might be interesting to some folks...  They're porting
PHP to Java...

-Andy

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [JBoss-dev] PHP
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 19:13:23 -0500
From: "marc fleury" <marc.fleury@jboss.org>
To: <jboss-development@lists.sourceforge.net>

Yeah that was my first impulse, to have a PHP interpreter in JBoss so
that we could leverage all the PHP thingies out there.

clearly the problem with PHP is that the guys who do the front end
modules and app DON"T KNOW THE FIRST THING ABOUT COMPONENTS and the
benefits it brings in caching (see whole argument on EJB in BLUE).
Putting EJB behind the whole mess would be great.  PHP can talk java but
it is out of process so that you go back to serialization and LOSE the
benefit of caching.  Period.  So clearly having the PHP code interpreted
in java would be great as you access the db data in cache.

The problem is that the libraries used need to be ported too and that
becomes a pain.  I am really serious with the porting as Julien will be
payed for this.

marcf