jakarta-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: Differences between Structs and Turbine ???
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 15:41:14 GMT
On 10/8/02 10:42 AM, "Pier Fumagalli" <pier@betaversion.org> wrote:

> "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> So putting out crap code that you have to toggle and mess with over and
>> over again is where the money is at in web app development.  So what is
>> the solution?  There isn't one...web app development is still a big
>> hairy mess.  Choice is good. ;-)
>
> Well put, not only this last part, but the whole...
>
> True, XML is a good approach from a technical point of view, but unusable
> from some others (don't ask me to teach XSLT to our web guys, please!).
>
> JSPs can work for some, but they definitely introduce drawbacks when
> thinking how they are implemented (they destroy my servlet container).
>
> Velocity is simple, doesn't mess around with my servlets, but it's
> interpreted.

That's like saying JSP is interpreted.

When a Velocity template is parsed, it's turned into a graph of objects and
that graph is cached, so execution is simply method calls on objects held as
references within that graph.  That's why Velocity is as fast as JSP.

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
geirm@adeptra.com                                    +1-203-355-2219 (w)