jakarta-general mailing list archives

From "Paulo Gaspar" <paulo.gas...@krankikom.de>
Subject RE: Loggers, loggers, all over the place
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2001 19:10:07 GMT
> But this makes my point stronger: JDK 1.4 is a good API,
> and telling people to "stay away from it" (from Berin and Jon
> messages) is stupid and irresponsible.

No it is not (stupid and irresponsible). It just increases the
pressure to make it right.

Standards must deserve the approval of their users instead of
being decided by committee. Users should vote with their feet
when necessary.

Irresponsible and stupid is accepting any thing that is imposed
on us by a BigCo. or by a "standards body" without questioning
it:
 - Irresponsible because that is a way of not taking
   responsibility for the quality of the tools and standards
   used in one's work - and hence the work itself;
 - Stupid because one ends up in bigger trouble that way.

If we would all agree using whatever is pushed stronger in our
direction, we would all be using Microsoft tools.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar