jakarta-general mailing list archives

From Cedric Berger <ced...@wireless-networks.com>
Subject Re: Loggers, loggers, all over the place
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2001 20:21:56 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Cedric Berger wrote:
> >
> > Tal Dayan wrote:
> >
> > > We plan to add a logger to one of our products and we are not sure
> > > which one to use.
> >
> > If you want to try the JDK 1.4 logging for older JDK:
> > http://www.javelinsoft.com/jlogger/
>
> Too bad I can't use it with JDK 1.3 (check Ceki's new critique regarding
> that issue).  I wonder how long this exists before Sun sends a "cease and
> desist" letter...

Ceki new critique says:
> Efforts to backport JSR47 to earlier JDKs are doomed to fail because the java.util.logging
package is located under the java namespace.
> This will cause backported code to systematically throw a SecurityException under JDK
1.3. Moreover, Java is a trademark owned by Sun
> Microsystems. As such, the backported code will be under the threat of litigation as
long as Sun can be expected to defend its trademark.

Too bad this fails to recognize that you don't need to put that into the java.util.* namespace.
For example the javelinsoft classes are under "com.javelinsoft".

Cedric