jakarta-general mailing list archives

From Jason Hunter <jhun...@acm.org>
Subject Re: RESET: Proposal for Revolutionaries and Evolutionaries
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2000 05:07:28 GMT
costin@costin.dnt.ro wrote:

> >     1) Any committer has the right to go start a revolution.
>
> +1 on everything, but I would like to add - "in a separate whiteboard
> directory or if not possible in a branch"
>
> Motivation - if needed:

> It also mean you'll not have to be an expert in CVS

I agree with Costin that the downside of the proposal is that any
revolutionary must be an expert in CVS.  To help with this, we should
make sure that there exists a detailed document describing how to manage
multiple branches with CVS.  We can call it "A Revolutionist's Guide".
:-)

I'm not sure if I agree with Costin's proposal for same-branch
different-package development.  I'm worried that won't scale well and
may cause dependency problems if people aren't careful.  But I do like
its simplicity!  If I were working alone that's how I'd manage my own
revolution (and how James recently said he did his with Tomcat).

-jh-