jakarta-ecs-user mailing list archives

From Basil Bourque <basilbour...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Is ECS project still alive?
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:28:00 GMT
> ECS was created when servlets were the main technology for creating
> web
> pages.  At that time, ECS was an alternative for hard-coding HTML
> in your
> servlets.  Now we have JSPs, XML to XLST, frameworks such as Cocoon,
> Tapestry, Wicket., MyFaces, etc  With ECS you are still coding your
> HTML
> in your servlets which is a maintenance nightmare.

Doing direct HTML coding in small easy-to-understand servlets makes
sense for smaller projects. It especially makes sense for in-house
projects where you are focused on providing access to data, not
trying to impress the world with your Web 2.0 features and magazine-
style CSS layouts.

If you are building the next Amazon.com, then yes, you may need the
heft of a framework.

Those of us writing simple reports for in-house use would much rather
whip up some simple servlets than spend weeks studying some
framework's source-code, miles of email archives, and obscure bug-
reports.

We might also find debugging to be much simpler when tracing through
our own code and a few calls to ECS rather than a mountain of
framework code.

> The development
> community has moved on to MVC frameworks.

Make that "some of" the development community.

ECS specifically died because anyone who expresses an interest gets
slapped down with a condescending attitude that "only idiots and
children do direct HTML coding, all the cool kids use endlessly
complicated, gnarly frameworks with 18-layers of abstraction." Plus
they offer the bonus feature of endless revising and re-architecting.
And then eventually that framework fades away as the new framework-du-
jour takes its place.

This framework mania may be the reason why so many developers have
fled Java, and are running to PHP, Ruby on Rails, M$, etc.

My advice:

- If ECS works for you, use it. Get your work done, go home, kiss the
spouse, walk the dog.

- If you get tired of the snobby framework retorts, start a similar
project of your own somewhere else in cyberspace.

--Basil Bourque