jakarta-ecs-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertdon...@mac.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ecs/src/java/org/apache/ecs/xml XMLDocument.java
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2002 23:23:57 GMT
On Monday, January 28, 2002, at 11:03 PM, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

> on 1/28/02 2:50 PM, "rdonkin@apache.org" <rdonkin@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> +            // XXX really this should use line separator!
>> +            // XXX should also probably check for pretty print
>> +            // XXX also probably have difficulties with encoding
>> +            try
>> +            {
>> +                out.write('\n');
>> +            }
>
> Why not use the System.getProperty("line.separator")?

well spotted jon :)

i think that i should really be using ConcreteElement.lineSeparator.

problem is that the way that XMLDocument is structured makes it really
hard to do things properly without major surgery. i've never liked how
XMLDocument was written but i've never really had any real desire/need to
rewrite it. hence the path of least resistance...

i'm also not very confident about the encoding logic in XMLDocument. i'd
need to think about the right way to convert the line.separator string to
the byte array that's required.

if you think that it's an improvement that's worth the effort, i'll try to
get up to speed on the encoding and make the change. (but it might take me
a while)

- robert