jakarta-ecs-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertdon...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Fw: additions to ConcreteElement
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2001 23:15:40 GMT
On Wednesday, November 14, 2001, at 06:25 PM, jnilson wrote:

> yes, this allowed me to create re-usable components then parameterized
> them
> so they look slightly different depending upon what's in the render
> context.
>
> I find it tremendously powerfull but I must admit its a bit of a hard
> sell.

hmmmm....
it does have a kind of perverse logic. it's odd but that doesn't make it
bad...

i have concerns about performance and concurrency but i'd need more time
to think to see if they're real.

to be honest i'm very reluctant to commit any changes to the core
functionality of ecs. i'd have to be very certain to make this type of
commit without hearing what stephan thinks first.

so i guess at the moment i'm -0 (mainly on gut feeling)
(that is - i'm not going to commit it but i'm not going to veto it either.
)

i suggest that you continue with your experiment. ecs is a stable project
and that means you're unlikely to have to pay a 'stupid tax' (the code's
not likely to change under you).

if you hang around long enough, then stephan will probably take a look and
give you the benefit of his wisdom. i might even post some more comments
and questions when i've thought about it further.

- robert