jakarta-ecs-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertdon...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Another ECS Example
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2001 21:34:37 GMT
On Wednesday, October 31, 2001, at 06:33 PM, Christian Brensing wrote:

> Hi everyone,

hi christian

> here's the source code for the HtmlTree-Bean. It's equipped with javadoc
> comments to show how to use this bean in a JavaServerPage.

i've taken a look at HtmlTree and it seems pretty much ok :)

there is one sentence in the doc comments which makes me a little
concerned, though.

  * This example is designed after a Tree seen at <a href=
  * "http://sourceforge.net">SourceForge</a>.

people can get a little prickly about credit.
i bet i'm write in saying that you didn't use any existing code (correct?)
.

if you are going to give credit, you need to make sure you do it right. i'
d prefer something like 'inspired by' rather than 'design after' and i'd
say that you need to be specific - either give the name of the author or
the name of project  or an proper url to the particular project rather
than a general one.
if you can't find out the exact details, then it's better to say nothing.

you don't need to submit any patches or a new version. just come back to
me with what you think - i can edit my local copy before i commit it.

- robert