jakarta-dev mailing list archives

From "Rony G. Flatscher" <Rony.Flatsc...@wu-wien.ac.at>
Subject Re: [BSF3] Drop bsf-engines from release?
Date Wed, 19 May 2010 17:05:34 GMT
On 19.05.2010 17:18, sebb wrote:
> Following on from https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BSF-32:
>
> I'm not sure it really makes sense to include a single jar with all
> the BSF engine factories in it.
>
> For one thing, why would one want so many factories present?

To be "future safe", such that one scripting language is used, but
later, one may want to try out another one concurrently without a need
for a JSR-223 engine being available for that scripting language
(because one must use an older version for whatever reason).

OTOH, Java 6 is around for a couple of years already and therefore most
of the maintained Java-related scripting languages would probably supply
a JSR-223 engine in their distribution already. If the bsf-engine bundle
and/or the individual JSR-223 engines remain downloadable separately
from BSF-3, then there should be no problem whatsoever.

> They will only work if the corresponding engine jar is also present,
> so most of the factories will fail at run-time.
>
> Another problem is the possibility of clashes between factories for
> different versions of a scripting language.

This seems to be some sort of a show-stopper currently.
(Actually it should not be a show-stopper but be able to deal with
different engine versions, but with the same name. Then one could query
the engine what capabilities it has and pick the more powerful/more
versatile or the latest one.)

> The BSF3 code is still useful for Java 1.4 and Java 1.5, and the
> bsf-utils jar can be used with Java 1.6+ as well.
>
> ==
>
> I'm also not sure that the specific engine test cases add much value -
> any failures I've seen are nothing to do with the BSF api code itself,
> but all about how the test classpath is set up.
>
> I think one could keep one or two of the test modules only.
> These should probably depend directly on the specific engine factory
> rather than on the bsf-engine bundle.

+1
> Thoughts?

I think it would be o.k. to leave the bsf-engine bundle out of the BSF3
distribution, but allow the bundle and the individual JSR-223 engines to
be downloaded separately, such that older versions of those scripting
engines that have no JSR-223 engine on their own can still be deployed
with BSF3.

Reasoning: quite a few commercial deployments will have to live with the
company's politics regarding upgrading software and versions to be
deployed, such that this scenario will materialize one way or the other
(never change a running software/configuration). For them being able to
get bsf-engine bundle (or the individual engine) will help a lot, if
they wish to use JSR-223 scripting on pre-Java-6 installations.

---rony