jakarta-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [BCEL] Potential licensing issue with GSoC contribution of Java 5 support
Date Mon, 03 May 2010 21:30:01 GMT
On 03/05/2010 12:38, Kevan Miller wrote:

>> Bah! I've explicitly told the student that copying code is not acceptable.
>> Thanks for catching this. (How did you?)
>
> The source code in question is CPL licensed. The student (properly) left the file under
the CPL license. So, the source files do not contain an Apache source license header.

> A Geronimo release review flagged the files as a potential problem. Once we identified
the licensing issue, the source was backtracked from Geronimo to Tomcat and then to BCEL...

Good news. Bad news.

I have spoken to Andy Clements (the original author) and he is willing
to re-license to the AL v2. Unfortunately, when he wrote the BCEL
changes that were incorporated into AspectJ he was working for IBM and
IBM owns the copyright. Andy no longer works for IBM.

The options before BCEL can do another release are:
- approach IBM and ask then to agree to re-license Andy's work on BCEL
to the ALv2
- review the GSoC contribution and revert anything copied from AspectJ
and then re-implement the msising pieces
- something else?

Kevan works for IBM and has offered to help out in resolving this issue.
I think it is time for me to pass the baton on this one to Kevan.

I'll lurk on the Jakarta dev and pmc lists until this is resolved but
I'm not expecting to take much of an active role at this point.

Mark