From David Turley <syn...@synath.com>
Subject More coverage issues
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:08:09 GMT
I took Bret Kumler's suggestion and got Cobertura.  I'm having a bit of
a problem with it though.  I don't think cobertura is dumping the
coverage information soon enough after running the cactus tests.  The
tests run and then Tomcat starts shutting down and then I get the
following error:

[cactus] INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been
stopped already (the eventual following stack trace is caused by an
error thrown for debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate
the thread which caused the illegal access, and has no functional impact)

When I get that error, my cobertura.ser file is suddenly empty and the
report fails with an EOFException.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?  Apparently the coverage
information isn't dumped until the JVM exits.  Is there a way to have
the tests run on a different fork than the container control part of the
task?

In case anyone cares to see it, here's part of my build.xml:

    <target name="cactus">
        <cactus warfile="${dist.home}/${app.name}.war" fork="yes"
              failureproperty="test.failed">
            <classpath>
                <path refid="cactus.classpath"/>
                       <fileset dir="${lib.dir}">
                        <include name="struts.jar"/>
                    </fileset>
                 </classpath>
            <classpath location="${build.instrumented-classes.dir}"/>
            <classpath location="${build.classes.dir}"/>
            <classpath location="${cactus.test.classes.dir}"/>
            <sysproperty key="net.sourceforge.cobertura.datafile"
                    file="${cactus.test.classes.dir}/cobertura.ser"
/>
            <!--<cactusproperty server="false"
                     propertiesFile="logging.properties"/>
                <cactusproperty server="true"
                       propertiesFile="logging.properties"/>-->
            <containerset timeout="180000">
                <!-- cactus automatically uses the system temp directory
                     for a temporary tomcat installation.  The directory
                     is as follows: env.TMP/cactus/tomcat5 .  To specify
                     a different temp directory, use the tmpdir
attribute -->
                  <tomcat5x
                      dir="${env.TOMCAT_HOME}" port="8081"
                       serverxml="${basedir}/server.xml"
                   />
            </containerset>
            <formatter type="brief" usefile="false"/>
            <formatter type="xml"/>
            <batchtest todir="${build.reports.dir}">
               <fileset dir="${cactus.test.classes.dir}"
includes="**/*CactusTest.class"/>
            </batchtest>
        </cactus>
    </target>

--David Turley

P.S.  To Bret Kumler, I didn't have any problems with Struts and
StrutsTestCase when I switched to Cobertura.  I could post more of my
build.xml if you'd like, but I don't know that it would be much help...