From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: Testing web-application recycling?
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:11:37 GMT
Hi Vincent,

Sorry, I was not very clear. By recycling, I meant the "redeployment"
of the whole web-application. This happens when a web application
which has been deployed from a WAR

- has its WAR file updated: the expanded web application is removed,
   and the WAR is expanded again.

- has its /WEB-INF/web.xml file updated.

- when the reload command is issued for the web application

For more details see for example: http://tinyurl.com/5mln2

Any serious web-application needs to make sure that when redeployed
resources are recycled properly, e.g. files released, db connections
closed, etc. This redeployment problem is also closely related to
hot deployment as well as clustering and session replication.

Given the tight coupling with the App Server, redeployment tests
require in-container testing.