From Lee Chalupa <lchal...@seelink.org>
Subject RE: How to write "testsuite server-side fixtures"
Date Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:16:28 GMT
Vincent:

I'm not trying to flame you or your associates Vincent but you need a wakup call
when it comes to your documentation and the built-in complexity of your
product.  Your current approach just doesn't match your mission statement. Do
you really expect new users to spend days of high levels of frustration to get
your software installed? I might add that they are frustrating days too.  It's
ironic that a tool that promotes testing hasn't devised tests that would help a
developer know if the software is deployed properly and if not, provide some
kind of clue where the problem is.  As an alternative to Cactus, I'm currently
evaluating an inexpensive software tool that provides similar functionality to
cactus. It wasn't my first choice. I can report that it deployed itself in
about 20 minutes start to finish. Done! As for your documentation, I can cite
many examples where the vagueness of your directions leaves enough room for
interpretation to drive a truck through the holes all the while you state in
your messages to users that you need to "follow the instructions exactly": my
point is there is no exactly to your documentation.

I know you and your associates are working hard and I commend you for your
efforts. I have stopped short a number of times of giving you this feedback but
in the end I don't think withholding feedback makes anything better.  Please
try to take my comments in the constructive manner that they were meant.

The good news is that there would be a whold bunch more developers using your
product if you can find a way to help them get started that doesn't "raise the
bar" over their heads.

Good Luck.

Lee