From Anton_Gr...@mn.man.de
Subject Monitoring applications using Cactus
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:38:13 GMT

A question please ...

In my company the hotline uses the monitoring tool BigBrother (think of a
web-frontend with red or
green dots behind a hostname or an application reporting availability).
To monitor our web-applications we like to use standard cactus tests for
testing the availability of
any Backend-System (Database, LDAP, MQ-Series, IMS, etc.) used in an
application and from
within the application process.

The only problem I see at the moment is:

The client side has to notify the monitoring application about the status
of a test. In the case the
application is not available at all (f.e. server down) the cactus framework
does not give me any
chance to catch this exception (on the client side) and notify BigBrother.

Is it possible to catch the cactus exception

      ChainedRuntimeException: Failed to get the test results ... ?

Any other ideas?

Regards,

Toni

Anton Grimm
MAN Nutzfahrzeuge AG
IDP - Software Produktionsumgebungen
Dachauerstr.667
D - 80995 M√ľnchen

Fon:       +49-89-1580-1054
Fax:       +49-89-1580-4550
mailto:    Anton_Grimm@mn.man.de
Internet: http://www.man-trucks.com

This message and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected
from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, please telephone or email the sender and delete this
message and any attachment
from your system. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy this message or
attachment or disclose the
contents to any other person.