From "J. B. Rainsberger" <jbra...@rogers.com>
Subject Re: Testing a MDB on its own
Date Tue, 25 May 2004 21:50:15 GMT
Jayaraman.Dorai@transplace.com wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. Now I understand what and how the MDB's need to be
> unit tested.
>
> But, I would like to "integrate test" to ensure all the components MDB1,
> session ejb and MDB2 combined together works fine.  This will give me the
> confidence that the functional unit  works together fine.

Well, actually, I think it duplicates the effort, and it costs you more
in terms of effort, but that's a conclusion you're best reaching on your
own. <opinion>If you test each component in isolation /and/ have
end-to-end tests (your functional tests), then there is little need for
integration tests.</opinion>

<snip />
> Does my problem come under functional unit testing? If so, does/will the
> cactus framework help do the "functional test" consisting of several server
> components put together.
>
> If there are no suggested approach to"integrate test", I would like to use
> Thread.sleep() till the MDB1, session ejb and MDB2 completes and then test
> the records created. It also tests that all the components completes within
> the stipulated time, which also works fine for me. Do you see any problems
> with this?

I think you should test however makes you most comfortable for now, with
exposure to some alternatives. I tend to test everything in isolation as
much as possible. Not everyone likes that. I do it because it minimizes
my dependence on the outside world (containers), keeps my tests
lightning fast and allows me to execute them dozens of times per day.
Not everyone needs or wants that.

The test you want to write is complicated, and prone to failing even
when nothing under your control is wrong (such as a mis-configured test
container or garbage collection happening at the wrong moment). If that
doesn't bother you, then push forward; but I think you'd benefit from
trying both.

Good luck.
--
J. B. Rainsberger,