From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@pivolis.com>
Subject Chaining of tests (was RE: beginXXX and endXXX jsp problems)
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:24:35 GMT

Ok. Then we'll consider there are no problems so far... ;-)

> I do have
> another question actually. It seems that either I'm doing something
wrong
> or cactus is not maintaining http session using cookies. Here's
scenario.
> I have several test cases. First one is just login into the system. At
the
> end of beginXXX I use the following:
>
>  wr.setAutomaticSession(true);

Cactus is about performing unit tests. As such it is not a functional
testing tool such as HttpUnit, Canoo Webtest, etc.

Cactus tries its best to *isolate* each test. For example, it ensures
that a new session is created for each test.

See also the Cactus FAQ for some more details on this.

> When I execute the next test case I assume that cactus maintains the
> session and I try to execute something on the server side inside of my
> testXXX method. I get an error from the server stating that my user is
not
> logged in. That led me to believe that cactus either didn't send the
> cookie along with my request or the cookie didn't match what was
expected
> by the server for the user what logged into the system in my first
test.
> So, what I did is this:
>
> In my first test inside of my endXXX I do this:
>
>  Cookie ws = response.getCookie(SessionConstants.WL_COOKIE);
>  Util.storeCookie(userName, ws.getValue());
>

> In all my consequent tests inside of beginXXX I do this:
>
>  String cookie = Util.getCookie(userName);
>  if(cookie != null)
>     wr.addCookie(SessionConstants.WL_COOKIE, cookie);

There are 2 ways to implement this:

1/ By persisting the cookie (what you are doing) or saving it in a
static variable for example.

2/ By logging in the user in the setUp() method (which is executed on
the server side). Usually logging in the user is only a matter or either
calling a method or setting a variable in the HTTP Session.

I personally prefer option 2 as this step is part of the test fixture.
Remember that for unit tests, the test fixture is in charge of
configuring the environment in which the test executes.

> Everything works just fine. It seems kind of weird that cactus doesn't
> have this feature built in (or like I said I'm really doing something
> wrong). If you can let me know what is it that I'm not doing right I'd
> appreciate it.

Thanks
-Vincent

> Thanks
>
> felix

Cactus
> > distribution. The servlet sample would be the best for you. It's
> located
> > in samples/servlet. Check out the Cactus tests, located in src/.
They

cactus-user-help@jakarta.apache.org