From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@pivolis.com>
Subject RE: application server
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:09:39 GMT

Ok. Then Cactus is not the right tool for you! :-)

(http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/
> Different kinds of unit tests)
> - Functional  - test expected change in DB (oracle8i) , memory ,
request/
> response.
> - Integration - Interactions with the container (server
infrastructure),
> Networking (tcp, udp), Memory manager.
>
> regarding the specific questions you raise:
> - Do you want to perform unit testing?
> yes
> - Do you want to perform functional testing?
> i am not sure what is the difference between 'functional testing'  and
> 'functional unit testing' .
> - Do you want to test EJBs?
> not specificaly now.
> - Do you want to perform testing in isolation, using mock object?
> if this means instead of  running the App and DB   then yes very much.
> This is the main dificulty for me.  how do I perform the metholody of
> tests
> without a 'live' server ?

Here are some resources:

- http://www.mockobjects.com
- Google for: EasyMock, jMock
- More "exotic" solutions: VirtualMock
- There are lots of different papers on the subject of mock objects on
the web. <advertisement>There's also, of course, the book I wrote, JUnit
in Action, which covers mock objects in depth. However, it also covers a
lot unit testing J2EE applications which is not your
focus</advertisement>
- archives of the junit yahoogroups mailing list

I'd suggest you try with these and if you have a question you post it to
the junit yahoogroups mailing list.

Thanks
-Vincent