From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@pivolis.com>
Subject RE: ServletTestRunner ant usage help
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 07:18:43 GMT
Steven,

are
> not
> present.  When run through the ant target they're not found.

Are you passing these properties in your <cactus> task using
<sysproperty>?

> 2.  The classpath used through the URL method is the classpath as
defined
> by
> the ear file.  When executed as an ant task the classpath is not the
same
> as
> the classpath found in my ear file.

You need to understand that cactus runs in 2 JVMs: one on the client
side and one on the server. The server CP is always the one defined by
the EAR + container. The client side is the one you specify in the
<cactus> task itself.

> One major benefit of exercising a URL such as
> http://localhost:7001/myapp/ServletTestRunner?suite=MyTest&xsl=cactus-
> report
> is that the tests are executed in the container identically as to how
> client would execute them through a web browser.

How is that a benefit? Why would you want to execute tests through the
browser when you have an automated solution set up? BTW, they are
supposed to be executed identically by <cactus>, the browser mode,
Maven, etc. I don't see why this should be an issue.

> Is there a way to do
> this
> through cactus?  Once again I point to the JUnitEE example:
>
> <target name="do-run-tests">
> 	<junitee url="http://your.server:port/myTest/TestServlet"
> 		printsummary="true">
> 		<test runall="true"/>
> 	</junitee>
> </target>

There is no task named <junitee> in Cactus. However (and I repeat
myself) there are at least 3 tasks that you can do that achieve the same
result: <cactus>, <runservertests> and <junit>.

The Cactus architecture is as follows:

Front end --> [Client side -- HTTP --> Server side]

You have a choice of several front ends to run Cactus. If they do not
produce the same result you can consider it a bug. In practice it's more
likely that you have misconfigured your front end.

Hope it helps,
-Vincent