From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@pivolis.com>
Subject [Discussion+proposal] Removal of @author tags and making contributions visible
Date Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:50:30 GMT
Hi,

As you may know we have removed the @author tags in source files. This
is to follow the ASF board recommendation. However that removes the
indication of who "contributed" to what piece of code.

Fortunately we have several other mechanisms to make contributions
visible to all:

1/ CVS commit logs
2/ mailing list archives
3/ bugzilla issues
4/ contributor's page
(http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/participating/contributors.html)
5/ changes.xml file
(http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/changes.html#release_changes).
Whenever we (Cactus committers) make a change on behalf of someone else
we indicate it in this file.

What do Cactus contributors think?

Is this enough?

What I was thinking was to move the contributor's page
(http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/participating/contributors.html) to
our Wiki (http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-cactus) so that it could be
more easily edited and more importantly contributors could edit it
themselves adding what they are participating in/etc, so that it
reflects better the reality. I feel that our contributors's page does
not completely reflect the reality.

What do you think?

Another solution would be to have some magic tool that would
automatically extract statistical information from:
- CVS
- mailing list
- bugzilla
and extract contributor with their contributions from this. That would
probably be very nice but I don't know of such tool...

So I'd say it's probably enough to open up the contributor's page using
our wiki for now.

Comments?

Thanks

-Vincent