From dsea...@vero.co.nz
Subject RE: Browser/Web Server timeout when accessing ServletTestRunner for long tests
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 02:14:56 GMT

Vincent,

Client side transformation is good enough for me and I am happy to keep the
solution as simple as possible.
Unfortunately I have had a look at the returned XML and the <testsuite> node
contains attributes e.g. failures, errors that will not be known until the end
of the testing. This will prevent me, as far as I know, from streaming the xml
down to the browser.

Perhaps I could set a dummy HTTP header variable after each test (or send some
other dummy data) just so the timeout does not occur. Not a nice solution, I far
prefer streaming the actual data, but I am not sure it can actually be done.

I am happy to provide a patch once we have sorted out a solution.

Cheers Dave

"Vincent Massol" <vmassol@pivolis.com>
04/02/2004 08:35
From
On

Please respond to "Cactus Users List" <cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org>

To    "'Cactus Users List'" <cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org>
cc     (bcc: DSEARLE/R&SA/NZ)

Subject   RE: Browser/Web Server timeout when accessing ServletTestRunner for
      long tests

Hi Dave,

You're the first one to report this issue. Congrats! :-)

It seems to me the only case where we have a real problem is when
performing server-side XSLT. If the returned data is XML or if the XSLT
transformation is done in the browser then we can easily implement your
solution 1 (i.e. send back data as soon as a test finishes).

Would that be good enough for you?

I'd rather do simple things than start playing with threads and
committed/uncommitted responses tricks... :-)

If you agree on this, the next step would to provide a patch for it :-)

Thanks
-Vincent

because
> it
> takes a number of minutes to run all the tests. We could modify
timeout
> settings
> on both the server and the client (I believe in IE it is a reg edit)
but I
> would
> like to be able to call the tests from any browser so need a server
> solution.
>
> Has any one else come across this issue before?
>
> I can think of two solutions:
>
> 1 Send information to the browser while the tests are being run which
> would stop
>  the timeout occurring.
> By modifying the Servlet Test Runner I could add another TestListener
that
> writes to the response as each test completes.
>
> 2 Modify Servlet Test Runner (or create a new runner) that can run in
> asynchronous mode.
> This would involve spawning a thread to run the actual test and
storing
> the
> TestResult somewhere (e.g. ServletContext) with an ID.
> The browser could then reload the page (automatically if required)
with an
> ID
> for the TestResult. My only concern with this approach is any
threading
> issues?
>
> Any thoughts most appreciated.
>
> Cheers Dave

> CAUTION - This message is intended for the addressee named above. It
> may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the
> intended recipient of this message you must not use, copy, distribute
> or disclose it to anyone.

The following message has been automatically added by the Internet mail
gateway to comply with a  Promina Group Services Limited IT Security
requirement.

"This e-mail has arrived via the Internet and, therefore you should be
cautious about its origin and content. Replies which contain sensitive
information or legal/contractual obligations are particularly vulnerable.
In these cases you should not reply unless you are authorised to do so,
and adequate encryption is employed."

If you have any questions, please contact postmaster@promina.co.nz
or the Helpdesk on 09 357 2383