From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@pivolis.com>
Subject RE: Browser/Web Server timeout when accessing ServletTestRunner for long tests
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 20:35:13 GMT
Hi Dave,

You're the first one to report this issue. Congrats! :-)

It seems to me the only case where we have a real problem is when
performing server-side XSLT. If the returned data is XML or if the XSLT
transformation is done in the browser then we can easily implement your
solution 1 (i.e. send back data as soon as a test finishes).

Would that be good enough for you?

I'd rather do simple things than start playing with threads and
committed/uncommitted responses tricks... :-)

If you agree on this, the next step would to provide a patch for it :-)

Thanks
-Vincent

because
> it
> takes a number of minutes to run all the tests. We could modify
timeout
> settings
> on both the server and the client (I believe in IE it is a reg edit)
but I
> would
> like to be able to call the tests from any browser so need a server
> solution.
>
> Has any one else come across this issue before?
>
> I can think of two solutions:
>
> 1 Send information to the browser while the tests are being run which
> would stop
>  the timeout occurring.
> By modifying the Servlet Test Runner I could add another TestListener
that
> writes to the response as each test completes.
>
> 2 Modify Servlet Test Runner (or create a new runner) that can run in
> asynchronous mode.
> This would involve spawning a thread to run the actual test and
storing
> the
> TestResult somewhere (e.g. ServletContext) with an ID.
> The browser could then reload the page (automatically if required)
with an