From Matt Raible <li...@raibledesigns.com>
Subject Re: cactus ant task on existing container ?
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:21:32 GMT

On Jan 16, 2004, at 12:43 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:
> I'm still hesitating to add this feature (deploying as an exploded war)
> as I'm not sure what benefit it would provide for <cactus> users.

Since I got it working using docBase="appfuse.war", and it was fairly
easy - I don't think it's that necessary to add it - especially if
Tomcat 5 supports both.

> On a related matter, are you sure tomcat 4.1.x doesn't support
> META-INF/context.xml files? (this article seems to imply it does:
> http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/01/08/tomcat4.html?page=3).

I just did a bunch of testing and it doesn't work on 4.1.29 on OS X.  I
tried everything - expanded war/META-INF, compressed war, etc.  I kept
getting:

org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC driver
of class '' for connect URL 'null', cause:
         at java.sql.DriverManager.getDriver(DriverManager.java:243)

No matter what I tried.

I'll have to e-mail the tomcat-user list and see if this is possible
with Tomcat 4.

> When you say "common <junit> test config", what is it common with?

It's not a big deal - since it's my problem and not cactus's.

>> I'll probably leave the "start.tomcat" and "stop.tomcat" stuff in my
>> build.xml file because they're nice ways to debug tomcat and I use
> them
>> for running Canoo's Webtest,
>
> Yes, I'd also like that we add <startcontainer>/<stopcontainer> Ant
> tasks for starting/stopping containers. It should be very easy to
> implement as we're already doing it in the <cactus> task. We could
> probably even reuse the existing <[container name]> nested elements
> (they're already Ant task in their implementation I think), and simply
> add an "action" attribute (action="start|stop"). Anyone wishing to
> help?
> :-)

Oooooh - that would be wicked cool!

>> Above all, I do dig the <cactus> task which should allow me to test
>> multiple containers.  Now if it was only easier to configure other
>> servers (i.e. Resin, Orion) with a simple context.xml file.
>
> Why is it more complex? For Resin, simply pass a resin.conf file to the
> <resin2x> element, no?

I suppose I could do this - but to configure Resin right now, I add one
line to resin.conf and that includes my appfuse.conf file.  I'm sure I
could include a resin.conf in my project (for testing), but then again,
I could also include a server.xml.  This is just me trying to do things
without changing anything in my project.  The one thing that *is* nice
about including a server.xml and/or resin.conf is that users can look
at a complete working config file for your app.

I appreciate all your help on this Vincent - much appreciated.  Is it
possible that the resin2x task will work with Resin 3.x?  I'll have to
try it and see!  BTW - there's a bug in the documentation for the
<cactus task>

resin2x

The nested element orion1x allows running the tests against the Resin
Server 2.x.

[10 minutes later] - it doesn't look like 2x support 3.x.

    [cactus] java.lang.NoSuchMethodException:
com.caucho.server.http.ResinServer.<init>([Ljava.lang.String;, boolean)
    [cactus]     at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:1769)
    [cactus]     at java.lang.Class.getConstructor(Class.java:1002)
    [cactus]     at
org.apache.cactus.integration.ant.container.resin.ResinRun.doStartServer
(ResinRun.java:115)

Matt