From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@pivolis.com>
Subject RE: cactus ant task on existing container ?
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:39:29 GMT

Ok cool :-)

> > On a related matter, are you sure tomcat 4.1.x doesn't support
> > META-INF/context.xml files? (this article seems to imply it does:
> > http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/01/08/tomcat4.html?page=3).
>
> I just did a bunch of testing and it doesn't work on 4.1.29 on OS X.
> tried everything - expanded war/META-INF, compressed war, etc.  I kept
> getting:
>
> org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC driver
> of class '' for connect URL 'null', cause:
> java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver
>          at java.sql.DriverManager.getDriver(DriverManager.java:243)
>
> No matter what I tried.
>
> I'll have to e-mail the tomcat-user list and see if this is possible
> with Tomcat 4.

Ok. Thanks for helping out.

[snip]

> >> Above all, I do dig the <cactus> task which should allow me to test
> >> multiple containers.  Now if it was only easier to configure other
> >> servers (i.e. Resin, Orion) with a simple context.xml file.
> >
> > Why is it more complex? For Resin, simply pass a resin.conf file to
the
> > <resin2x> element, no?
>
> I suppose I could do this - but to configure Resin right now, I add
one
> line to resin.conf and that includes my appfuse.conf file.  I'm sure I
> could include a resin.conf in my project (for testing), but then
again,
> I could also include a server.xml.  This is just me trying to do
things
> without changing anything in my project.  The one thing that *is* nice
> about including a server.xml and/or resin.conf is that users can look
> at a complete working config file for your app.
>
> I appreciate all your help on this Vincent - much appreciated.  Is it
> possible that the resin2x task will work with Resin 3.x?  I'll have to
> try it and see!  BTW - there's a bug in the documentation for the
> <cactus task>
>
> resin2x
>
> The nested element orion1x allows running the tests against the Resin
> Server 2.x.

thanks. Fixed.

> [10 minutes later] - it doesn't look like 2x support 3.x.
>
>     [cactus] java.lang.NoSuchMethodException:
> com.caucho.server.http.ResinServer.<init>([Ljava.lang.String;,
boolean)
>     [cactus]     at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:1769)
>     [cactus]     at java.lang.Class.getConstructor(Class.java:1002)
>     [cactus]     at

org.apache.cactus.integration.ant.container.resin.ResinRun.doStartServer
> (ResinRun.java:115)

I could have told you this! I tried it some time ago. Then I tried to
create support for Resin 3.x and I got stuck. I just need to know how to
start/stop Resin programmatically (or find how to stop Resin from the
command line). It's incredible that this information is so hard to find
and that there is no way to stop Resin from the command line... :-(

I'd love to support Resin 3.x though but I've already spent some time
reading the source code and I don't have more time for now. And Scott
isn't answering my emails.

Thanks
-Vincent