From "Magnus Mickelsson" <magnus.mickels...@telia.com>
Subject SV: REPOST: RE: Authentication Failure --> Problem Found
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:27:40 GMT
Hi Tarek,
sorry to hear you've had problems with Cactus. For us it's working like a
charm (Cactus 1.5 beta).

About your test for authentication; personally I would not use Cactus in
that case, but perhaps HTTPUnit/jWebUnit (assuming I understood correctly)
for simple black-box web authentication testing, by faking being a client
and verifying the response you get. Would that be enough for you?

Anyway, if you don't want to use a "temp Tomcat", you don't have to.

In our projects, we test EJBs, Servlets, Filters, JSPTags and Struts actions
with Cactus and StrutsTestCase, in-container on JBoss/Tomcat (from 3.0.5 to
3.2.2).

What we do is assemble an "exploded" EAR file (unpacked), with exploded
EJB-JAR and WAR file within, application.xml etc. We place the Cactus JARs
in the WEB-INF/lib dir of the exploded WAR, and use the cactus.properties
file to point Cactus to JBoss. You also need to include mappings to the
Cactus test Servlet in your web.xml file, as mentioned above. We deploy the
EAR/WAR to our server, and off we go with testing. No temporary container,
we keep ours running all the time and use JBoss' redeploy funcitonality
(which has problems, but they're usually fixable).

Using Ant and XDoclet you get a nice, automated way to synching the code
with the web.xml file. You add on test behaviour using a merge file, or
something.

A note to everyone though; if you mean to get into xUnit testing, look at a
test coverage tool like Clover or JCoverage. It really helps when looking
into the current state of your app, and the quality of your tests.

HTH,
Magnus

---