From "J. B. Rainsberger" <jbra...@rogers.com>
Subject Re: Asking Questions
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:59:44 GMT
Owen Chau wrote:

> Cactus supports "integration unit testing". Can you explain
> the nature of this "integration" you refer to.

Integration Tests exercise multiple objects together. Object Tests
exercise a single object in isolation, usually by faking its collaborators.

 > Also, how about the
> advantages,
> if any, of integration unit testing, as opposed to testing the unit in
> isolation. Do we need any additional tool and/techniques to cover the
> other aspects of unit testing?

In theory, if you have 100% Object Test coverage /and/ perfect
interface/implementation separation, then Integration Tests are
unnecessary. Since no-one has 100% Object Test coverage /and/ perfect
interface/implementation separation, Integration Tests are necessary to
plug the holes.
--
J. B. Rainsberger,
Diaspar Software Services