From "J. B. Rainsberger" <jbra...@rogers.com>
Subject Re: cactus vs httpunit
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:57:48 GMT
Sachin Dole wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I would love to explore Test Driven Development on my projects. Currently, I am
> trying to figure out what is a suitable framework for the projects I work on.
> Typically, projects would involve MVC + EJB + a Data layer + JMS/weblogic for
> multi app integration.
>
> How does cactus compare with HttpUnit? Or are they comparable at all?

HTTPUnit is all about modeling the HTTP request/response mechanism. It
is essentially "black box" web application testing.

HTMLUnit plays the same role as HTTPUnit, but focuses more on modeling
web pages than low-level HTTP protocol stuff. (Example: with HTMLUnit,
you click on links and submit buttons, rather than creating the HTTP
request yourself).

Cactus provides a convenient way to run JUnit tests in the application
server, and so allows you to test deployed application components (EJBs,
JSPs, servlets).

Here is what I recommend.

Plain JUnit for as many tests as you can: your session bean logic, your
JDBC code (if any), your message-consuming logic, your
message-content-producing logic, your overall controller logic.

Cactus for servlet initialization, JSPs and sparingly for EJBs and JMS
components. (The EJBs and JMS components should be paper-thin.)

HTMLUnit for end-to-end testing through the browser.
--
J. B. Rainsberger,
Diaspar Software Services