From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@pivolis.com>
Subject RE: "You must either set location or path on <pathelement>" Exception Message
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:30:06 GMT

FileNotFoundException(toolsJar.getAbsolutePath());
> >         }
> >         return toolsJar;
> >     }
> >
> > So it means it cannot find it in [javahome]/../lib/tools.jar
> >
> > Do you know where it is for you (i.e. what directory)?
>
> Hmm, does this mean that this works for you in Eclipse?
>
> Obviously this code is quite broken, and was just one of those quick
and
> dirty hacks none of us ever produces ourselves ;-) I think that
tools.jar
> (or whatever classpath entry contains the Java compiler) should
normally
> always be on the Ant classpath. So some type of lookup to find the
> resource
> that contains the compiler should do the trick. I'll need to look into
the
> <javac> etc, to see how the Ant folks get the compiler on the
classpath of
> forked VM.

Ok cool. I agree. One of the problem with eclipse when you use Ant from
within Eclipse is that Eclipse automatically creates a JRE setup (and
not a JDK one) and thus the tools.jar is missing. But I agree that once
the JVM is correctly setup, we should be transparent. What we could do
maybe is simply try to load some class from tools.jar to see if it's on
the cp somewhere?

Thanks
-Vincent