From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@pivolis.com>
Subject RE: Automated cactus generation tool (was RE: RE: Good bye Tarek (was RE: REPOST: RE: Authentication Failure --> Problem Found))
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 06:38:16 GMT
Hi Martin,

No I don't know any. I personally don't see the need for one for 2
reasons:

1/ I don't what is difficult in typing:

public class MyclassTest extends ServletTestCase

2/ This can be done with a macro in your IDE

Or do you mean other advanced feature?

What I don't like with generators is that they tend to be verbose. I'm
sure that instead of what I've written in 1/, your generator would have
written instead:

public class MyclassTest extends ServletTestCase
{
  public MyclassTest(String name)
  {
    super(name);
  }

  public static Test suite()
  {
    return new TestSuite(MyclassTest.class);
  }

  public static void main(String[] args)
  {

no? ;-)

-Vincent

Tarek
> (was RE: REPOST: RE: Authentication Failure --> Problem Found))
>
> Vincent
> I have used Artur Hefcyz testsgen to generate skeleton code for 2
> differing
> situations and in both cases they worked extremely well
> I was looking for a like minded Cactus TestCase generator if you know
of
> one
> I would appreciate a link
> Many Thanks,
> Martin

Do
> > you mean a tool that generates skeleton TestCase?
> >
> > Thanks
> > -Vincent

Authentication
> > > Failure --> Problem Found)
> > >
> > > On the same note is there a automated cactus generation tool such
as
> > the
> > > one for junit?
> > > Thanks,
> > > Martin
> > >   >From: "Eric Pugh"
> > >   >To: "'Cactus Users List'"
> > >   >Subject: RE: Good bye Tarek (was RE: REPOST: RE: Authentication
> > Failure
> > > --> Problem Found)
> > >   >Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 14:11:10 +0100
> > >   >
> > >   >Just a heads up on Mock objects.. they seem simple, they
aren't.
> > There
> > > are
> > >   >a lot of weird subtleness issues with the order of setting up
> > expected
> > >   >results. And the concept of using generic objects to record a
> > series of
> > >   >expected results, and then verifing the expected results occur
with
> > > real
> > >   >object? Egads..! Cactus has lots of setup issues, that is where
> > most
> > >   >bugs/heartache comes from. MockObjects, especially once you get
> > beyonnd
> > > the
> > >   >super simple onces, have a lot of difficult concepts to grok
> > instead..
> > >   >
> > >   >The two technologies are both difficult, simple on the surface,
but
> > > more
> > >   >complex as you get deeper. Something that may help with
learning
> > cactus
> > > is
> > >   >to A) buy the book. b) Start over with much simpler use cases.
When
> > >   >tried Cactus the first time, I tried to apply it to a very
complex
> > > database
> > >   >driven, xml parsing, coffee brewing app! Well, it didn't brew
> > coffee,
> > > but
> > >   >almost. It was very frustrating. So then I went and tried out
> > cactus
> > >   >testing with the JNDI code for commons-configuration, and it
was
> > much
> > >   >simpler.. Contributing that code helped me get a success under
my
> > belt
> > > and
> > >   >made getting deeper into cactus much more enjoyable.
> > >   >
> > >   >I do think my motto: "Nothing is ever easy..." is very
applicable
> > >   >software development..!
> > >   >
> > >   >Eric