From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@pivolis.com>
Subject RE: EJB Sample in 1.6dev
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:33:28 GMT
Hi Mark,

The EJB sample requires the J2EE classes. As you mentioned we could get
them from the containers. However, it's a bit complex as it's different
for each container. We need them to compile the EJBs and test classes.
Of course, as a user of Cactus, you can point to the j2ee jar provided
with your container.

Hopefully all this will become much easier soon as the Apache Geronimo
project will be providing this jar containing J2EE classes and it will
be redistributable... Actually it is already available. However, they
have split the different JSR implementation in different jar (one jar
per JSR). I've asked on their ML if they could deliver a single jar
(can't remember the answer though!). I'll have to check back as this
would be the ideal solution.

> I also ask because I've tried building cactus cvs, and the builds
require
> j2ee-1.x.jar ( either 2 or 3 ), but I couldn't find easy directions
for
> what
> to get and where to put it.  I was able to make some lousy hacks to
the
> properties files and finally got it to somewhat build.

I've added the following to the build.properties.sample file:

# Note: The J2EE jar can be retrieved from the Sun web site defined
below.
# Unfortunately, you'll also need to download the whole J2EE SDK just to
get
# this file. In the future we'll work towards using the JSR jars
provided by
# the Geronimo project.
# - For J2EE 1.3: http://java.sun.com/j2ee/sdk_1.3/
# - For J2EE 1.2: http://java.sun.com/j2ee/sdk_1.2.1/

> One final unrelated note.  The guide for seeing up a development
> environment
> for the eclipse plugin didn't seem to work. I got through the first
two
> items ok, but the 3rd had issues.  Specifically, IIRC, i didn't see a
> "Import plug-ins and fragments rquired by existing workspace plug-ins"
> radio.  Maybe I don't have the correct version and or other plugins of
> eclipse (2.1.1)?

Hmmm... Strange. It was tested on Eclipse 2.1.0 I think. Unfortunately
nobody is currently working on the Eclipse plugin. This is sad as it is
a very interesting Cactus integration.

Have you been able to have a working Eclipse environment? The "import
plug-ins[...]" stuff is simply so that Eclipse resolve dependent plugins
used by the Cactus plugins. You can also do that manually.

Thanks
-vincent