From John Kristian <jkrist...@docent.com>
Subject RE: Test Result = [null] in doGetResults on WebLogic 8
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:45:19 GMT
This exception does not occur when only one server is running in the
cluster.

When the exception occurs, the attached excerpts from the WebLogic Server
logs indicate that doTest and doGetResults are executed by different
servers.  Note the lines that contain:

<Docent1> ... <Result saved in context scope>
<Docent2> ... <Test Result = [null]>

(<Docent1> and <Docent2> are server names.)  I suppose the two calls refer
to different servlet contexts (in different servers), so it's not surprising
that getServletContext().getAttribute returns null.  But it seems wrong that
doTest and doGetResults are executed by different servers.  Are they
initiated by separate HTTP requests?  Doesn't Cactus' HTTP client echo
cookies (so that its requests are directed to the same server by the
WebLogic HttpClusterServlet or web server proxy plugin or load balancer)?

It also appears that (in this cluster) Cactus often reports test results
that are unrelated to the test, for similar reasons (doGetResults finds the
results of an unrelated test that was executed hours previously).  This is
very bad.

Is Cactus known to be unable to test clustered servlets?  Would a more
recent version of Cactus help?  (I'm using jakarta-cactus-13-1.4.1 now.)
Have I botched my WebLogic configuration?

Perhaps I should mention that I'm not (as far as I know) using the Ant or
Eclipse integrations.  I run the client via Ant, but in a very low-tech way,
using a <junit> Ant task with the cactus .jars in a <classpath> and
-Dcactus.contextURL= in a <jvmarg>.