From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@pivolis.com>
Subject RE: RE : Maven plugin : "isolated" goals ?
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 08:58:38 GMT
Hi Sebastien,

I think it all boils down to the Maven philosophy. The goal of the Maven
plugin for Cactus is to offer a plugin that does it all without the user
having to figure out the nitty-gritty details. You just run "maven
cactus" and it does it all.

And that's the main idea of Maven plugins: the ability to execute right
away typical tasks (with some customization abilities). If you wish to
get fine-grained control of your build, you'll need to create your own
build script in your maven.xml (or in your own plugin). It then becomes
the same as Ant.

That said, I'm quite happy with providing more flexibility in the Maven
plugin for Cactus. My only restraint is that it must not become more
complex to use for 99% of the typical users.

If you wish to perform the deployment of your webapp yourself, you can
certainly do it using your own custom maven.xml (or plugin). Then
calling the Cactus test is just a matter or using the <cactus> ant task
with the <generic> nested element.

Now, I'm very interested in your participation to improve the Maven
plugin for Cactus! If you have implemented some of your ideas, make sure
you send a patch to the list and I'll apply it :-)

Thanks for your help
-Vincent

developement...