From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@pivolis.com>
Subject RE: Maven plugin : "isolated" goals ?
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 17:53:16 GMT
Hi Sebastien,

cool

> A) Cactify an existing war using an isolated goal (a goal that doesn't
> depend on the execution of another goal) ;

hmm... Have you read the Cactus plugin documentation? ;-) For example,
have you checked
http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/cactus/goals.html?

> B) run cactus tests against a specified web application already
deployed
> into an applications server (for example : an existing weblogic
domain),
> using an isolated goal.

There are 2 items here:
1/ The ability to use an already existing weblogic configuration instead
of the default one provided by cactus. I'm currently working on that
feature.
2/ The ability to deploy a cactified war/ear into an already running
instance. This is not implemented yet and help is most welcome. The
cleanest way is by redeploying the webapp/ear using JMX.

I see no real use case for simply executing an already deployed
cactified war/ear. I think use case 2/ is a superset of it and should be
enough. What do you think?

> This way, one could define his own goal which does :
>
> 1) Build a war (using the war plugin, for example);

already being done... The cactus:cactifywar goal depends on war:war

> 2) Cactify this war (using the cactus isolated goal A);

already possible

> 3) Deploy the cactifyed war into one's applications server ;

provided by cactus and can be implemented manually if you wish, simply
by not using the cactus:test goal and instead creating a custom goal in
your maven.xml and using the <cactus> Ant task in which you put a nested
<generic> container element (see the Cactus/Ant integration doc on the
Cactus web site for more on that).

> 4) Run cactus tests (using the cactus isolated goal B).

This is already provided by the custom <cactus> Ant task.

> But also :
>
> 1) Build an ear ;

This is on the todo list and quite easy to implement.

> 2) cactify a war (or more) which is (are) in the ear (by using the
cactus
> isolated goal A + pre and post goals) ;

yep. Same as 1)

> 3) Deploy the ear into one's applications server ;

The <cactus> Ant task already supports this.

> 4) Run cactus tests (using the cactus isolated goal B).

Steps 1 to 4 are part of the same todo, which is to support
cactification of EARs. I have already done it using custom Ant scripts
and it should be quite easy to include it in the Maven plugin for
Cactus. Just needs some time or help... ;-)

Thanks for all these nice ideas! :-)

-Vincent

?