From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@pivolis.com>
Subject RE: did the apparent race condition ever get fixed?
Date Sun, 13 Jul 2003 09:12:23 GMT
Hi Laura,

[snip]

> Another perhaps related issue.  One of my test cases
> included quite a bit of code after it called my
> servlet's doGet method.  It performed some assertions
> and then reset some database records.  The endTestxxx
> method for this case was very short.  I had logging
> code in both methods and what I was seeing was the
> endTestxxx method running before the testxxx method
> had finished.  Then, apparently because the endTestxxx
> had completed, the next test case started to execute,
> and the server/ant hung; I had to Ctrl-C it.  I
> "solved" the problem by moving the database record
> reset code into my endTestxxx method and now the tests
> run fine.
>
> I have checked the mailing list and the only reference
> to this topic are some emails from Frank Baxter and
> Brian Murray in October of 2002, reporting similar
> issues.  In one of the responses, Vincent said he
> would (re)implement a semaphore to prevent this.  Did
> that happen?  If so, what else could be causing this
> problem?  If the semaphore isn't there yet, are there
> any plans to put it back?

Yes, I think it really is a race condition. I've personally never
witnessed it and apparently 99.99% of cactus users are not subject to it
either. I think you're right and it must be a combination of different
things. I also think it is container-dependent.

We know how to solve it and it's been added as a todo item for some time
now. Cactus 1.5 is going to get released real soon now and unfortunately
we've not planned this item for it. However, we'll be releasing a cactus
1.5.1 or 1.6 very quickly afterwards including this fix as it is high on
our todo tasks.

Sorry about that
Thanks
-Vincent