From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@pivolis.com>
Subject RE: NullPointerException with Tomcat Howto
Date Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:54:25 GMT
Hi Bastian,

I've personally not had any issue with Tomcat 4.0.3. Normally
commons-logging is quite flexible and would try various configs before
failing.

I think the best way is to report this to commons-dev and try to find
the solution with the commons-logging folks. I don't think it is related
to Cactus and I'm not expert enough in commons-logging to provide you
right-away with an answer.

As a trial, can you try to do *exactly* what was in the tomcat howto
(just to verify if it works in your environment)?

Thanks
-Vincent

http://localhost:8082/cactusTest/ServletTestRunner?suite=TestSampleServl
et
> (You see I didn't follow the Howto very strictly. But I was really
> carefull) I get the following output:
> ...tomcatstuff...
> org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
> org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> 	at

org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImp
l.
> java:509)
> 	at

org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImp
l.
> java:285)
> 	at

org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImp
l.
> java:255)
> 	at
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:381)
> 	at

org.apache.cactus.server.runner.ServletTestRunner.around91_doGet(Servlet
Te
> stRunner.java;org/apache/cactus/util/log/LogAspect.aj(1k):1142)
> 	at

org.apache.cactus.server.runner.ServletTestRunner.doGet(ServletTestRunne
r.
> java;org/apache/cactus/util/log/LogAspect.aj(1k):101)
> 	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:740)
> 	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
> 	at

ti
> onFilterChain.java:247)
> 	at

org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.access$0(ApplicationFilt
er
> Chain.java:197)
> 	at

org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain$1.run(ApplicationFilterC
ha