From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: iterative tag with nested tags example
Date Sun, 09 Mar 2003 16:51:07 GMT
Ian Kallen wrote:
> Hi Vincent,
>
> On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Vincent Massol wrote:
>
>>- Have you had a look at
>>http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/writing/howto_testcase_jsp.html?
>
> Yes, I guess what's unclear is how to setup the tag hierarchy in the
> setUp() phase so that when you do pageContext.pushBody() inside your loop
> you're getting the interior tags evaluated.  The simple cases are fine, it
> seems like when the tag has a body _and_ the body is iteritively
> evaluated, the game gets a little hazy.

I'd really recommend you to look at JspTagLifecycle helper :-)
Actually, the reason I've written it in the first place was that I found
testing iteration tags too hard and error-prone.

Here's an example that tests whether the JSTL forEach-Tag exports a
scoped variable as expected:

   ForEachTag tag = new ForEachTag();
   JspTagLifecycle lifecycle = new JspTagLifecycle(pageContext, tag);
   tag.setVar("Item");
   tag.setItems("One,Two,Three");
   lifecycle.expectBodyEvaluated(3);
   lifecycle.expectScopedVariableExposed(
     "Item", new Object[] {"One", "Two", "Three"});
   lifecycle.invoke();

Simple, no? More advanced tests are possible, too. The Javadoc of the
class is the best reference ATM.

>>- Also, there's a new JspTagLifeCycle class in Cactus 1.5 to help unit
>>testing taglibs. The best doc for it is in the cactus servlet sample.
>>Here's the test suite for JspTagLifeCycle:
>>
>>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-cactus/samples/servlet/src/test-ca
>>ctus/j2ee13/org/apache/cactus/sample/unit/TestJspTagLifecycle.java?rev=1
>>.2&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>
> Sounds good.
>
> How soon is 1.5 going into release?  It looks like the nightlies are
> building with various levels of completeness, not sure which one I should
> work with.

The more recent ones (2003-03-08 and later) should be pretty safe to
check out.

I'd be quite interested in some feedback about the JspTagLifecycle
class. Haven't heard much yet :-(

--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de