From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@pivolis.com>
Subject RE: Testing EJB - Newbie: please help
Date Sat, 29 Mar 2003 21:01:34 GMT
Hi Beate,

Step 3 has nothing to do with Cactus. It has to do with the RI. Before
you can start using Cactus you need to be familiar with the component
model you are testing but more importantly with the container you are
using.

Let me try to help you (although I have never touched the RI)... The
J2EE spec does not spec everything. For example it leaves the mapping of
the EJB to their JNDI names to the container provider. Thus all
containers provide a special file (called weblogic.xml for WebLogic,
jboss.xml for JBoss and another name which I don't know for the RI - But
frankly, just do a search for "j2ee-ri-specific-information" and it
should yield the information). That said, most container also provide
default mappings and thus this container-specific file is very often
optional.

> 2. Cactus-Web-Application - Step 2
> Where do I have to change the web.xml? In every .WAR file? Or within
the
> conf directory of the Server (j2sdkee1.3.1/conf/web.xml)

You need to understand what you are doing (read the "how it works" web
page if you haven't done so already). In step 2, you are doing 2 things:
- adding definitions for the Cactus Servlet redirector which will be
called by the JUnit test runner.
- adding references to the EJBs that are called by your Test Case
(following the J2EE spec)

Thus, you only need to modify the web.xml for the WARs which are used
for the tests. That said, I believe j2sdkee1.3.1/conf/web.xml is a
global web.xml which is "inherited" by each .WAR, right? If so, putting
the Cactus redirectors in there is a good idea.

> 3. Cactus-Web-Application - Step 4
> Is this necessary? Where do I put this code to?

Same as step 3 above. Read the J2EE RI deployment doc, it should provide
you with the information.

> 4. How do execute the test? Via the browser like in the 20-minutes
> tutorial?

You choose! I would suggest you read
http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/integration/howto_runner.html which
explains what are the options for Cactus 1.4.1.

> Here is the error message that I get when executing it in the browser:
>
> The requested resource (/ServletTestRunner) is not available

We would need more stack trace to help you.

Thanks
-Vincent