From "Pavan Aripirala Venkata" <pvenk...@h5technologies.com>
Subject Cactus with load balancing in a clustered environment - Exception.
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2003 18:42:56 GMT
	Hi all,
	I have a clustered environment wherein I have our application
running on three application servers (JBoss 3.0) (on three different
machines), and we have an Apache load balancer (with sticky sessions)
for load balancing these machines. With this setup I run some of my
cactus tests and sometimes the following exception is occurring - the
occurring of this exception is erratic.

2003-02-13 16:36:44,313 WARN  [org.jboss.jbossweb] (Logger.java:167)
WARNING: jva.io.IOException: Premature EOF reading params
2003-02-13 16:36:44,322 WARN  [org.jboss.jbossweb] (Logger.java:167)
WARNING: Eception for /cactus/ServletRedirector/
javax.servlet.ServletException: Missing service name parameter
[ServletTestRediector_Service] in HTTP request.
        at
org.apache.cactus.server.AbstractTestController.getServiceName(AbstrctTe
stController.java:176)
        at
org.apache.cactus.server.AbstractTestController.handleRequest(AbstratTes
tController.java:114)
        at
org.apache.cactus.server.ServletTestRedirector.doPost(ServletTestRedrect
or.java:134)
and so on

	I don't get this exception when I run the cactus tests with just
one single application server (no Apache in between), i.e., the regular
way. Also I am able to test my application from the web pages with
clustering on, without any exceptions.
  	Looks like the request parameters are not reaching the app
server. You might have seen this if you had just typed
http://<your host>:<deployport>/cactus/ServletRedirector/ in the web
browser.

	In cactus.properties I set the servletRedirectorURL (or the
contextURL) to the ipaddress of the machine where Apache resides. I use
Java threading (home built code) to run multiple concurrent cactus tests
- I am not using the JUnit's ActiveTestSuite. I also make sure that the
input data is not same for two threads. I am successful with this
threaded setup when there is no clustering.
	JBoss internally uses jetty. I don't know if that causes any
error. Long ago I saw an posting on this list about jetty and cactus
problem - I am sure these two are not related. (FYI the subject of that
e-mail was Re: [jetty-support] Re: Cactus and Jetty problem - sent by
Scott Sayles [ssayles@fgm.com]).
	Please, let me know if anyone knows how to fix it.
Thanks

Pavan.