From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Can't find classes in pkgs outside WEB-INF/classes
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:02:52 GMT
Mark wrote:
> I have a server-side class loading problem, but not able to figure out
> why. Using Cactus I can run tests and access servlets just fine if the
> classes are all located under WEB-INF/classes directory, but I get
> NoClassDefFoundError if I try to access classes in a different package.
> This is a working application so I'm obviously not understanding
> something from the Cactus/classloader side of things.  I've read the
> ClassPath HowTo and it only describes a WEB-INF/classes structure.

Cactus should be able to load any classes that can be loaded by the
web-application itself, because it's using the web-applications' class
loader by default.

> Given this directory structure:
>
> /WEB-INF
>    /classes
>        Servlet1.class
>        TestClass1.class
>        /pkg1
>           AppClass1.class
>
> I can run a test case where TestClass1 instantiates Servlet1, but if
> Servlet1 tries to instantiate pkg1.AppClass1, it's not found.  This
> seems like it should be something very simple but I'm at a loss.

Weird.

[Note that you shouldn't really use the "default package" (i.e. no
package, classes directly under WEB-INF/classes in this case), except
maybe in examples.]

Can you provide some more details, like the container you're using,
maybe some log output, stack traces etc.?

> Any help will be appreciated, and sorry for yet a newbie question that's
> CLASSPATH related.

Classpath problems are quite frequent for "pros" to ;-)

--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de