From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@octo.com>
Subject RE: Cactus Newbie Question?
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2003 23:54:13 GMT
Hi Michael,

Yep, Cactus is a good tool for this.

> I've read most of the general Cactus documentation, but I'm still not
sure
> exactly what approach I should take to try and solve this problem with
all
> the Cactus bells and whistles.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Is there an example that covers this exact (DataSource testing via
web-
> app)
> problem?
>
> What Cactus docs should I focus on?

If I understand correctly, you want 1/ to verify that a DataSource is
correctly configured and 2/ to call the test from Ant. This is very
easily done with Cactus.

Simply write a ServletTestCase as in:

public class TestXXX extends ServletTestCase
{
  public void testDataSource()
  {
    // Perform the JNDI lookup here to get the DataSource
    // Get a JDBC connection for example
    // Perform some SQL queries if you wish
  }
}

That's all on the java part.

Now for the Ant integration, I suggest you have a look at the
servlet-sample application that is part of the Cactus distribution. It
uses Ant to start Cactus tests. You can also check the Ant howto on the
Cactus web site.

Hope it helps,
-Vincent