From "Robertson, Jason" <Jason.Robert...@acs-inc.com>
Subject RE: Testing a distributed login subsystem
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2002 15:36:13 GMT
Problem #1: See the FormAuthentication implementation, it does exactly what
you are looking for as far has getting a Session ID and passing it around on
future tests. You should easily be able to write your own Authentication
class to work in your system.

Problem #2: I think this will solve itself if you model after the
FormAuthentication class, as an instance of the class has its own member
variable that holds the Session ID, so launching multiple instances of the
test, one per server, should work. But, you say you want to use the "same"
test, so maybe I don't follow exactly what you're doing. If you mean you
want to login to one server then execute something in the same session on
each server, then this would be fine, too, I'd think you'd create a test
suite with 5 tests that would each setup the address of the server that test
is connecting to, then call a common test method to do the work.

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: Davide Baroncelli [mailto:baroncelli@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2002 9:56 AM
To: cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Testing a distributed login subsystem

Hello,
we have the need to test a custom "cluster-like" subsystem that we have
developed. In short, this subsystem connects web applications on the
same server and on different servers distributing login information when
a user does login (via javagroups).

What we need to do is something like that:
1) login the user (this can either be done by calling an http url or a
method on the server side, but we do need to receive a session id, to
continue the test!)
2) go on every other web application on the same server and on other
servers, and check, with a server side method, that the session id we
received at the point 1) corresponds to a valid session.
3) we have an ant-based build system where we would like to integrate
this test feature

The problems are:
1) how do we receive a parameter from the initialization phase 1), that
we can use to pass to subsequent tests? the problem is that what we want
to test is the actual generation of ids and the passing of messages
through javagroups, so we have to use a dinamically generated string,
and can't use the same one every time.

So, is there a way to provide properties to the tests on the server side
that are dinamically generated from the client side? The idea is step 1)
should return an id, and we pass it to every test executed in step 2).

2) is it possible to run the same test on a battery of servers? we need
to perform after-initialization tests of our 5 production servers, so
the tests are actually the same. What we do now in our build system is
iterating via ant-contrib tasks (foreach...), but this creates the need
to solve the parameter-passing issue.

Thanks...