From "Randy Shoup" <randy.sh...@tumbleweed.com>
Subject Basic Authentication and special characters
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 22:02:30 GMT
I am not sure whether this is proper forum for this question, but ...

I am trying to use Cactus 1.4.1 and JBoss 3.0.4, with Basic
Authentication.  In the back, JBoss authenticates the login to an LDAP
server where user names are like email addresses (user@foo.com).

When I try to authenticate with such a user name, Cactus complains that
'@' is a special character (stack trace below).

According to the Cactus code, and the HTTP 1.0 spec, this is perfectly
correct.  I tried escaping the '@' in various ways -- '%40' and '&#64;'
-- but neither worked.

My question is:  How do other people use Basic Authentication and
so-called "special" characters like the extremely common '@'?  Am I just
out of luck?  Is there a way to escape the '@' so that I can in fact
authenticate?

------------
stack trace:
     [junit] Testcase: testBasicAuthentication took 0.078 sec
     [junit]     Caused an ERROR
     [junit] Given theName contains illegal characters.
     [junit] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Given theName contains
illegal characters.
     [junit]     at
org.apache.cactus.client.authentication.BasicAuthentication.validateName(BasicAuthentication.java;org/apache/cactus/util/log/LogAspect.aj(1k)
:153)
     [junit]     at
org.apache.cactus.client.authentication.AbstractAuthentication.dispatch6_setName(AbstractAuthentication.java;org/apache/cactus/util/log/LogAs
pect.aj(1k):108)
     [junit]     at
org.apache.cactus.client.authentication.AbstractAuthentication.around6_setName(AbstractAuthentication.java;org/apache/cactus/util/log/LogAspe
ct.aj(1k):1156)
     [junit]     at
org.apache.cactus.client.authentication.AbstractAuthentication.setName(AbstractAuthentication.java;org/apache/cactus/util/log/LogAspect.aj(1k
):106)
     [junit]     at
org.apache.cactus.client.authentication.AbstractAuthentication.<init>(AbstractAuthentication.java;org/apache/cactus/util/log/LogAspect.aj(1k)
:97)
     [junit]     at
org.apache.cactus.client.authentication.BasicAuthentication.<init>(BasicAuthentication.java;org/apache/cactus/util/log/LogAspect.aj(1k):113)

Thanks,
-- Randy