From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@octo.com>
Subject RE: About Cactus and Quality Assurance
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2002 12:51:02 GMT

The best is to do test-first development. Write your unit test first
(before the code they test). Run the test: they will fail. Write the
code. One by one the tests will turn from red to green.

Why is it good?
- because you get better tests (retrofitting tests to match code is
always a best effort)
- because you can then skip the detailed design phase as it is done in
the unit tests. The unit tests also acts as design documentation.
- because you will find that, as a result your code under tests is
better written

> 2) Considering to extend Cactus for functional testing, what, other
than
> HttpUnit,
> could/should I integrate? What are the fundamental limits I will
> encounter?
> Thanks a lot,
> Marco

Cool! HttpUnit is already integrated but for checking results only. Do
you mean you would like to extend Cactus to use it for sending requests,
too (as part of a Web conversation)?

It is definitely possible and I would be happy to help you and offer
support for that.

I don't see any fundamental issue (especially as I am happy to let you
modify Cactus internals to make it more pluggable!).

Before choosing the tools to use for that you need to tell us what you
have in mind for functional testing. What would be a typical scenario?

Thanks
-Vincent