From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@octo.com>
Subject RE: java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl: cannot fix it
Date Sun, 20 Oct 2002 10:40:54 GMT
Marco,

ok. That should work just fine as it works for me.

> 2/ I have .jar in three places:
> tomcat/common/lib:
>  aspectjrt-1.0.5.jar
>  cactus-1.4.1.jar
>  cactus-ant-1.4.1.jar
>  commons-httpclient-2.0alpha1-200206
>  commons-logging.jar
>  httpunit-1.4.1.jar
>  junit.jar
>  servletapi-2.3.jar
>  Tidy.jar
>  xerces.jar
>  xml-apis.jar

ok

> [testingdirectory]/WEB-INF/lib:
>  aspectjrt-1.0.5.jar
>  cactus-1.4.1.jar
>  cactus-ant-1.4.1.jar
>  commons-httpclient-2.0alpha1-200206
>  commons-logging.jar
>  httpunit-1.4.1.jar
>  junit.jar
>  servletapi-2.3.jar
>  Tidy.jar
>  xerces.jar
>  xml-apis.jar
>
> the [testingdirectory] only contains the build.xml
> and it has to contain the .jar files even if they are in the
> tomcat/common/lib (it is not very clear to me why this is necessary
> as I don't refer to this lib in my build.xml)

Do you mean this is from where you start the tests? I guess I am
confused by the WEB-INF/ directory which would indicate a webapp. But
reading between the lines, I gather you use Ant to start your tests
using the junit ant task in which you add all the mentioned jars to be
put in junit task classpath.

> [applicationtotest]/WEB-INF/lib:
> ([applicationtotest]/WEB-INF/classes contains the classes to test and
the
> testing classes I write)
> appian-asl.jar
> appian-client.jar
> classes12.jar
> commons-beanutils.jar
> commons-collections.jar
> commons-digester.jar
> commons-pool.jar
> commons-loggin.jar
> cos.jar
> i18n.jar
> jakarta-poi-1.5.1-final-2002061
> JTurbo.jar
> log4j-1.2.6.jar
> struts.jar
> xalan.jar
> xalanservlet.jar
> xercesImpl.jar
> xml-apis.jar

What's the version of commons-logging.jar in your webapp? Is it the same
as the cactus one?

I have to say I don't know what's happening. I think your best bet might
be to ask the commons-dev mailing list (where commons-logging is).

Alternatively if you could send me a minimal zip still showing the
error, I could try to debug it.

> Now, the PROBLEM DISAPPEARS WHEN I remove the commons-loggin.jar,

you mean remove the one in your webapp?

> but
> this is not an option for me. I hope I was clear enough.
> Thanks!!!
> marco

-Vincent

[snip]