From "Peng, Haitao" <Haitao.P...@commerceone.com>
Subject Log4j Error with Jrun4/JBuilder
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2002 17:01:42 GMT
Hi, All:

I get this error from Log4j.  I saw similar posting before. I read all the
archived emails and did not find an answer.

Here is my log4j.properties:

  	# Properties for configuring Log4j
	# This is the configuring for logging on the JUnit side (i.e. the
client side)

	log4j.appender.cactus = org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
	log4j.appender.cactus.File = cactus_client.log
	log4j.appender.cactus.Append = false
	log4j.appender.cactus.layout = org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
	log4j.appender.cactus.layout.ConversionPattern = %d{ABSOLUTE} [%t]
%-5p %-30.30c{2} %x - %m %n

	# Any application log which uses Log4J will be logged to the Cactus
log file
	log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, cactus

	# By default we don't log at the DEBUG level for Cactus log, in
order not to generate too
	# many logs. However, should a problem arise and logs need to be
sent to the Cactus dev team,
	# then we will ask you to change this to DEBUG.
	#log4j.category.org.apache.cactus = WARN, cactus
	log4j.additivity.org.apache.cactus=false

I have same log4j.properties in my server classpath except one line:
      log4j.appender.cactus.File = cactus_server.log

I added both class paths to Jbuilder.  But when I run my test cases, the
server-side logging works and client-side logging does.  The following
errors occur:
  log4j:ERROR A "org.apache.log4j.FileAppender" object is not assignable to
a "org.apache.log4j.Appender" variable. log4j:
  ERROR Could not instantiate appender named "cactus".
(org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient).

It makes no difference if I un-comment this line in log4j.properties:
  #log4j.category.org.apache.cactus = WARN, cactus

Thanks

Haitao Peng
Commerce One at Austin
(512) 597-6230 (o)